Tuesday 3 November 2020

Twitter Book Club - Supporting Independent publishers


Our Twitter Book Club has made a decision.

We want to highlight a different independent publisher each time we choose a book. This is good for a number of reasons. 

1. Independent publishers need as much support as they can get.
2. The books they publish are less likely to get the exposure than those of the "big" publishers.
3. I can order the books directly from the publishers, thus maximising how much money they make from the sales.
4. I like dealing with independent publishers.

(they also publish brilliant books!)

So, from now on, the chosen publisher will pick four of their titles for us to vote for on a Twitter poll, to decide which book we'll be reading next. 

The first publisher we’ve chosen is Bluemoose, and their co-founder Kevin Duffy has kindly sent four possible choices. 
I think that whatever we chose, we’ll be in for a treat. 

HERE is a link to their website which gives you more information about the publisher and their books btw.

They are @Ofmooseandmen on Twitter. 

-------------------------------------------------------

I’m about to put a poll up on Twitter, but the choice for the first book is between these four titles.
I've added links to each of them, so you can check them out.

And here is a picture of the covers. 


PLEASE VOTE. 


A reminder of how Twitter Book Club works. 

1.       We choose a book to read via a Twitter poll
2.       We read it.
3.       We talk about it (this is the important bit) via Twitter.
4.       We give it marks out of 10.

That's pretty much it. 

I'll get the results of the Twitter poll tomorrow (Wednesday 4th November) and Bluemoose will then send me copies of the chosen book, which I shall post out to everyone who wants to join in, if they give me dosh.

We'll need time to read the book, and I know this is only 3 weeks time, but I've chosen Tuesday November 24th as the date of the meeting. Book chat will start at midday. 

WE CAN DO IT.
 
I’ll set up a DM (direct message) group, so that people who’ve read the book and want to talk about it can chat about it on Twitter, without filling up their timeline.
 
If you’d like to join this group group, send me a message using this hashtag #BGBookClub
You can send it to me any time between now and November24th. I'll add you to the group.
We can, of course chat about the book on normal Twitter, using the same hashtag.
 
Most book groups meet for a couple of hours, but the lovely thing about Twitter Book Club was that people were able to chat about the book over a couple of days, so you won't have to be around on the 24th, you can catch up later and still get involved. Also unlike normal Book Clubs, nobody can look at you disapprovingly as you neck the last glass of wine in the bottle.
 
After the discussion, we will give marks out of 10 by Thursday 26th November and the results will be announced on Friday 27th.

I am a bookshop. I would like you to buy the book from me. So once the book has been chosen, I’ll let you know how to do this. This is not obligatory, obvs. The important thing for me, is that as many people who want to, get the chance to be involved.

If you have any questions, tweet me!




No comments:

Post a Comment